Help for Those Impacted by Storm Damage

A storm Jan. 22, 2024 resulted in flooding and damage across the region. The County proclaimed a local emergency, and Gov. Gavin Newsom also proclaimed a State of Emergency in the county. Feb. 19, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) issued a Major Disaster Declaration for San Diego County.

FEMA will offer Individuals and Households Program Assistance. The program provides financial assistance and direct services to eligible individuals and households who have uninsured or underinsured necessary expenses and serious needs. The financial assistance is intended to help meet basic needs and supplement disaster recovery efforts.

Low interest loans will also be offered for households and small businesses through the Small Business Administration.

If you were impacted by the Jan. 22 flooding, you can apply for FEMA assistance by visiting and clicking “Let’s Get Started.”

You can also call FEMA’s phone helpline at 1-800-621-3362 daily from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.


Emergency Food Supplies: Call 2-1-1 and the agent will provide you information about a food pantry or available services in your area. You can also contact Feeding San Diego at 858-452-3663 or visit their website to find a list of food distributions for residents impacted by the recent storms.

Food Assistance (CalFresh) or Temporary Cash Assistance (CalWORKs or General Relief):  go to call the Access Customer Service Center at 866-262-9881 or visit a local Family Resource Center. If you are already a CalFresh participant and you lost power and food, you can sign up for replacement CalFresh Benefits until Feb. 21.



The County’s temporary lodging program is available to people displaced from their homes by the January 22, 2024 storm and flooding.

Most of those eligible have already been identified through a survey or in-person visit to one of the Local Assistance Centers and/or intake forms that are being completed by community partners who provided initial temporary lodging.  People who have not filled out the survey or visited a Local Assistance Center can call 2-1-1 to apply. New applications will be accepted through February 23, 2024.

Funding is from a $10 million flood relief program unanimously approved January 30, 2024 by the San Diego County Board of Supervisors. The program was designed to provide emergency housing options for those who had homes damaged in the January 22 storm. This is not for people experiencing homelessness, nor is it connected to the inclement weather housing program. There are other housing services available.

Other Housing Options

For housing needs not related to the storm and flooding, visit the Housing Services page to learn more about housing services in cities and in the unincorporated areas of the County.



Metropolitan Transit System (MTS): Complimentary transit passes may be available for those who lost use of their vehicle or live in areas impacted by the storms. Call customer service at 619-557-4555 for information about reduced fare options and trip planning.



Salvation Army: Call 619-231-6000  if you need clothing, socks, underwear or hygiene products.



If you do not have a doctor or medical provider and need care: Call 2-1-1 to get connected with a provider nearest you.

If you need help finding mental health resources or crisis support: Call 9-8-8. For emergencies, please dial 9-1-1.  



San Diego Gas & Electric: Customers who were impacted by the storm can visit the SDG&E Storm Recovery page or call their Customer Care Center at 1-800-411-7343.


Debris Removal

The County Department of Public Works is picking up flood-damaged debris and items from homes in the unincorporated communities weather permitting. Call  858-495-5700.

Do not put debris near the curb during rainy weather where it can wash away and cause a hazard.

For additional storm recovery resources, call 2-1-1.


Other resources 

Flood cleanup and safety

Sand and sandbag locations

Home/Business Property Tax Relief: Visit the Assessor/Recorder/County Clerk's office to see if you qualify for Flood Property Tax Relief or email Recorder/County Clerk staff are also available to answer questions and help with requests for replacement copies of vital records and property deeds. 

Pet owners: If you live in the unincorporated area, you can get help with supplies or obtain copies of documents by contacting the Department of Animal Services at, 619-767-2675 or

Pet owners in other jurisdictions can visit the San Diego Humane Society’s support page or call 619-299-7012 for assistance.

Replacement Documents 

Donation Information

The best way to help people affected by the storm is to donate money to a trusted local organization. Donations of clothing and household items can be difficult to distribute and store. County Emergency Services and the San Diego Foundation set up the San Diego Flood Response Fund to collect donations to fund local non-profits helping those impacted by the storms.


Consumer Protection Resources


Additional Resources

Red Guide Logo

The Red Guide to Recovery: A Resource Handbook for Disaster Survivors is a comprehensive, easy-to-read post incident recovery tool that walks disaster survivors step-by-step through the recovery process.  Disaster survivors are often overwhelmed by stress and uncertainty after a loss caused by a natural or manmade disaster, and the handbook addresses such stress and uncertainty by providing the information and tools survivors need to cope with a disaster.   Learn more