Replace Personal Documents

These offices can help replace many common documents. You may need these and other documents when you apply for disaster assistance loans and grants. 


Social Security card

Replace your Social Security card

Documents you will need

You can also apply at a local office or mail the necessary forms to your local Social Security office.

Find your local Social Security office or call (800) 772-1213.


Expanded passport services to replace lost or damaged U.S. Passports

Those impacted by the Jan. 22 storm can visit the County or City passport offices for assistance.


Birth, marriage, or death certificates

Recorder/Clerks Office, County of San Diego 
Phone: 619-236-3771 

Office of Vital Records

If your records are in another state, you will need to check with that office. See Where to Write for Vital Records


Veteran records

US Veterans Affairs Department 
Phone: 1-800-827-1000 

Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)

Form USCIS I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card  


Work permits

I-765, Application for Employment Authorization

*All non U.S. citizens must also contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to inform them of address change due to wildfires or disaster. This can be done by completing USCIS form AR-11 and submitting it to your local USCIS office.


Driver's license or identification card

Replace your California driver's license or ID card


Medicare card 

How do I get a replacement Medicare card?


Federal Income Tax returns 

Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return


California State Income Tax returns

How do I get a copy of my state tax return?


Other documents

You may need these documents. You will need to contact the business for each one.

  • Deeds
  • Mortgages
  • Renter's leases
  • Copies of insurance policies or settlements